Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: Form submitted is not emailed to submitter

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32010

Hi, not sure why I have been asked to repost the issue again, but here it is:

I would recommend you access the page at www.elementotango.it/contattaci.html and try it out, as you will receive back an email with the error text in it.

Assume you populate the form there with your own email, say This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

After submitting it, you DO receive an email back from the server, so this means it is configured correctly, and the form IS able to send emails, but the email contains a text saying that the email could not be sent :-) and you will ack this is impossible :-)

I tried submitting the form using senders' email domains like @gmail.com and @alice.it with the same result.

I tried configuring in the general joomla options, different webmasters email addresses again from gmail and from the same elementotango.it domain, but no luck.

Thanks !

Regards AG
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32011

• alexp
  • RSJoomla! Official Staff
  • Thank you received: 180
You were asked to do so because you hijacked a topic from a different extension.

Now, getting back to your issue. The fist thing you need to do is to determine if your Joomla! installation can send emails. You can easily to this by creating a new Joomla! user (an automated email should be delivered).

If the above test works out fine, you can start looking in your particular RSContact! configuration. On a more specific note, make sure that you have a subject in place and a valid "to" email address. I would recommend setting a simple message when testing (so we can also exclude anything weird in the email body).
Please note: my help is not official customer support. To receive your support, submit a ticket by clicking here
Regards,
RSJoomla! Development Team

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32019

Hi, thanks for the help you're providing.

I tried all that you explained, and stil it doesn't work.

What I really can't understand is the following:

The person submitting the forms _IS_ receiving an email, so the server is capable of sending it. However, the contents of what receives, starts with "This email could not be sent to" and then the contents of the form is correcty shown.

Thanks again!

Regards AG

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32020

• alexp
Not quite! The message that you are getting does not mean that recipient is getting the email. Have you actually tested this with one of your emails and see if you get it or not ?

The notification message that you are getting is generated by your current configured mailer (telling you that i couldn't send the email).

Have you tried using a different mailer ? (Site > Global Configuration)
Please note: my help is not official customer support. To receive your support, submit a ticket by clicking here
Regards,

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32026

Hi Alex, I don't have a new user module activated, so I can't test that.

So I did the test on 2 different servers, two different Joomla insllations, and I get the same issue.

Why don't you try it at elementotango.it/contattaci.html and see what I mean ?

Again I must insist that the emails work fine. The RSContact config specifies to send an email to the admin, and that one is perfectly sent and received. What is not correctly sent, is the email to the person who has submitted the form. I can always exclude that by configuring to not send it, but I would prefere to allow the submitters to receive a copy of it.

Hope this is now more clear. Again, is not the emailer that sends the wrong email, it what I configure. And to avoid misunderstanding, I tried 2 different emails in the Joomla! setup, one from gmail.com and one from elementotango.it, and both give the same issue.

Hope this is now more clear.

Thanks!

Regards AG

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32029

Hi Alex

as a further help, I've tried now installing a different contact form module, free as well, and it works, so it is another evidence that the server (Joomla!) config works well !

Hope this helps.

Regards Andrea.

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32031

• alexp
What you do you mean you can't create a new user ? You can do so within the administrator area - it doesn't have to be created within the frontend...

Can you post a screenshot with the RSContact! email settings ?

PS: If you are using the PHP mailer option, i would recommend contacting the hosting provider as well about this, as they can provide more insight.
Regards,

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32032

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. Sorry, I thought you wanted me to simulate a registration from the frontend.

OK, I created a new user, which has received the "new user details" mail with the credentials. I also then sent a message from the back end to the new user and it works fine, no errors.

In the backend, I'm not using php or sendmail, but I'm using SMTP.

the screenshot can be found here

elementotango.it/images/settings.jpg

Thanks!

AG

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32033

• alexp
What i can tell is that this is generated by your particular configuration, not by RSContact!. Note that this is using the standard Joomla! email sending function (sendMail()). It seems that your mailer doesn't like something within the email content.

Have you tried sending out some test messages ? Simply set the subject and content to something simple and submit the form.

PS: You should still contact your hosting about this.
Regards,

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32034

Hi Alex, too sad we can't fix it. I don't think it is the hosting provider, since the same identical thing happens on the localhost installation on my PC, and the one you accessed as well, on a provider.

Interestingly, on both installations, I have RSContact! and the translated files for Italian language of RSContact! Could it be this ?

I tried to uninstall RSContact! and the translated files, but when I re-install it, it still uses the italian version, prbably the translation files are not removed completely.

Would you have a suggestion on how to remove COMPLETELY RSContact! and the translation for it, for me to reinstall it from scratch again ?

Thanks!

AG

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32035

• alexp
If you are using the same SMTP connection details (to the same service), it doesn't really matter that you are using localhost or your website. It is up to you to decide what to do next, i am simply recommending what steps to take that will help you identify the issue.

As for the language - head over to languages/it-IT/ and rename it_IT.mod_rscontact.ini to something else. This should disable the translation.
Regards,

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32036

Hi Alex, thanks.

I believe I know what it is. It is a coding issue in RSContact!

I tried now 3 different emails in the Joomla! admin, from three different providers, and they all show the same.
But the evidence is the following:

Assume you use " This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it " in the backend general configuration of Joomla! and then use RSCOntact! to send a contact form. You get the issue. Then, log into a webmail and inspect the "Sent" folder of " This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it " and you will see the sent emails. This proves that Joomla! and RSContact! _are_ sending out the emails, the problem is not with the access to the SMTP.

The email that RSContact! sends out, to the submitter, just has the sentence at the top, which simply shall be removed.

The sentence to look for in the code is "This email could not be sent to " and then in <strong> or <bold> the email address of the form submitter.

This can't be the emailer or Joomla!, as they don't send out emails with <strong> or <bold> text in it, so it is for sure RSContact!

If you simply strip out the sentence above from the email sent to the submitter, everything is perfect, since the emails are sent out perfectly.

Hope this helps,

Regards AG

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32037

Here it is

MOD_RSCONTACT_ADMIN_EMAIL_NOT_SENT="This email could not be sent to %s"

this is the text that is wrongly triggered.

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32040

• alexp
You are right! There was a small glitch within the source code. We have corrected this. Please download the module again and run it over your current one. This will act as an update and should resolve this.

Let me know how this goes!
Regards,

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32041

• octavian
  • Thank you received: 110
Regards,

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32042

Hello both, thanks.
I'm about to test it in a few moments. Shall I also download a new copy of the translation into Italian ?
Thx
AG

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32043

• alexp
andreagatti1970 wrote:
Hello both, thanks.
I'm about to test it in a few moments. Shall I also download a new copy of the translation into Italian ?
Thx
AG

No, you don't need to update the language pack.
Regards,

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32044

Hi guys, it works _ALMOST_ perfectly!

First of all, yes, the problem I reported is FIXED! congratulations, the emails do not contain anymore the "error" text. However, there is a bug that was not apparenly showing before.

It is basically the form giving the error:

"There was an error while sending the admin email: The following From address failed: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it : MAIL FROM command failed,550,Your authenticating ID must match your sending address."

This is easy to understand, and by a few tests I just did, it happens ONLY with those Joomla! Admin hosts that have an enforced security, disallowing the relay of emailing via SendMail.

It is explained well here:

When sending email using SMTP server the from address must match the authenticated address in order to send. Some devices and email software will have the site or device authenticate with a email configured for the site for example This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Then the logged in user on the site or device with email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it that has privileged level to send email will use the software to send an email. When they do this the SMTP header will show the authenticated user as This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and the sender as This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it this will cause an error "rsp: 550 From address must match authenticated address" and the email will not be delivered. If you authenticate on the SMTP server with the user named " This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it " then you must also send the email using " This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ".

In other words, RSContact! tries to send out emails to the admin and to the sender, "impersonating" the user that has populated the form. This is allowed by some SMTP servers, but not by all of them.

Summarizing:

(1) RSContact! sends the form contents to the submitter, using "From:" configured in Joomla! --> Perfect, no issue.
(2) RSContact! sends the notification to the Admin, using the "From: email" taken from the populated form, and not from Joomla! --> 550 SMTP Issue

Hope you can fix this one, and we're all set !!!

Thanks!

Andrea.

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32060

• alexp
Thank you for the heads up. Please update again:

https://www.rsjoomla.com/support/documentation/rscontact/changelog.html
Regards,
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreagatti1970

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 8 months ago #32061

Hey Alex, thanks!
I will give it a test again over the next 2 days as I can't get on the system right now, but I will feed you back after the tests. Thanks!
Regards Andrea.

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 7 months ago #32250

Hi folks I was finally able to test it. There is still one issue: when a copy of the form is sent to the sender, the title of the email used is "Your contact to" without the placeholder being used. I use the Italian translation so, it should read

"La sua richiesta a elementotango.it" while it reads "La sua richiesta a" without the placeholder being used.

WHat could it be ?

Thanks!

Regards Andrea.

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 7 months ago #32252

• alexp
In your current language file you have:

MOD_RSCONTACT_SEND_COPY_SUBJECT="La sua richiesta a"

When it should actually be:

MOD_RSCONTACT_SEND_COPY_SUBJECT="La sua richiesta a %s"

I have updated the language pack accordingly.
Regards,

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 7 months ago #32256

Aha good to know. Shall I therefore download the new language pack and overwrite the existing ?

Form submitted is not emailed to submitter 8 years 7 months ago #32258

• alexp
Yes of course!
Regards,

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!