Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: SOLVED : Misleading time indication

SOLVED : Misleading time indication 11 years 6 months ago #19264

• technivores
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I've recently bought RSEvents!Pro which I thought has plenty of obvious qualities that would fit well for one of my clients needs but setting up its configuration I've found some reel problems.

Biggest problem is that I think it's a very bad idea to show an event begin and end time when this parameter cannot be configured (which, by the way, is at least very curious for an Event management component).

Am I missing something here or is it future developpment ?

When I enter a begin date I can only select a date and not a time. Why this ?
it seems to me that the stored time is corresponding to the time the event was saved (or maybe the time the date was selected). This means if I work late and set up an event, lets say at midnight, then the displayed begin time is midnight ! So if my website users pay some attention to the begin time (which they should) then they'll think the events begin at midnight. This is misleading !
Should I only create my events at the exact time of the day the event should start ? This cannot work !

Second problem : not so easy recurrent event management.
One of the main reason I've bought this component is the ease of use (my client is not very used to website management). So if he create an event and plays with the recuring parameters he's able to create tons of duplicates of an event and that's just fine. Then he'll have a huge list of duplicates in the event list, fine too. But let's say he changes his mind and eventually want his event not to be recurring. Then he checks off the recurrent checkbox. Once saved he go back to the events list and find the same huge list of events untouched ! Thats wrong ! The component should remove automatically all occurences of duplicates (with maybe a warning popup saying something like "are you sure to do this as all duplicates of this event will be deleted ?"). I know he can just delete them the classic way but if he has created houndred of events ? This is confusing at least.
By the way, if I create a recurring event that take place once per year from 2013, and define it will happen until 2015 then the comp tells me the event will occure 2014 times ! Happily it wont dupplicate the event 2014 times but the correct number. But once more this is confusing.

Last problem is with the (excellent) rsmedia galleries diplayed in events. I read :
The following parameters are available for configuration:
Thumbnail Resolution: numeric values (width or height) that allow you to specify the resolution of the generated thumb images.
But my all my RSmedia thumbnails stay steadily at 200px large no matter what I do.

Regards
RSEvents!Pro version : 1.0.0
The server config :
Linux web233.start.ha.ovh.net 3.2.2-grsec-mutu-grs-ipv6-64 #1 SMP Thu Jan 26 14:55:34 UTC 2012 x86_64
Database : 5.1.49-3-log
PHP : 5.4.6
Webserver : Apache/2.2.X
Joomla! : 2.5.7 Stable [ Ember ] 13-September-2012 14:00 GMT
Joomla Platform : 11.4.0 Stable [ Brian Kernighan ]...
Last Edit: 11 years 6 months ago by technivores.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryan62

Re: Misleading time indication 11 years 6 months ago #19336

• ryan62
  • Fresh Boarder
I have the same problem... I am not able to select a start/finish time for events.

Because of the purpose for this site, it makes this component practically useless. Why not just embed a Google calendar or something? If I can't set start/end times, EventsPro has no use to me... Rather disappointed.

Re: Misleading time indication 11 years 6 months ago #19349

• technivores
  • Fresh Boarder
I agree with you : not being able to choose a start and end time is big big problem for an event management component. I've created a support ticket, so we'll see what happens.
The server config :
Linux web233.start.ha.ovh.net 3.2.2-grsec-mutu-grs-ipv6-64 #1 SMP Thu Jan 26 14:55:34 UTC 2012 x86_64

Re: Misleading time indication 11 years 6 months ago #19475

• technivores
  • Fresh Boarder
The support service did solve all the problems I had.

It seems the component had to be updated to latest version which let admin choose the begin and end time once the date is chosen ("in previous version you needed to first save the event with the category, location and dates set, then edit the time").

Regarding the recurrent event management "when a recurring event is created, each new occurrence will be considered a new event, thus deleting the duplicates when the "Recurring event" option is disabled is not a viable scenario."

Regarding RSMedia Gallery, the problem was solved by adjusting the component and by installing a new version.

:)
The server config :

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!