Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: Frontend file permissions

Frontend file permissions 10 years 4 months ago #25954

Hi,

I'm using RSFiles to create an online file directory to which registered users can upload PDF-files and create folders (in RSFiles called 'files') via frontend. I don't want to use the briefcase system, since - as far as I can see - this creates user specific 'categories', which is not what I want. I don't want visitors to see a maincategory called '[USERNAME]'s briefcase'. I just want a simple file directory that can be managed via frontend.

When using the 'file' option instead, I can create folders, and, if permission is set to the right group (or to 'everybody'), i can upload files, which is great, because that is all that I need. Problem is that when I create a new folder, permission is not set at all, so it excludes everyone from uploading. I first have to manually change folder permissions via backend admin. Is there a way to either edit permissions via frontend admin OR to automatically set upload permissions for newly created 'files' (folder) to a specific group?

Thanks in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Frontend file permissions 10 years 4 months ago #25956

• alexp
  • RSJoomla! Official Staff
  • Thank you received: 180
I think you got it all wrong. The briefcase folder is private for each user. Other users (unless explicit permissions are provided) won't be able to see other user's briefcases.
Please note: my help is not official customer support. To receive your support, submit a ticket by clicking here
Regards,
RSJoomla! Development Team

Frontend file permissions 10 years 3 months ago #26035

• brentonk
  • Fresh Boarder
I think I am understanding the issues Janis might be having.

It seems that the permissions that are available for "Downloads" aren't exactly the same for "Briefcase", meaning you can't just click on a folder and say User 1, User 2, User 3 and see "Folder A".

I've looked at old tutorials and when editing a folder you can see a "General" tab and a "Permissions" tab. In the latest version of RSFiles I can only see the "General" tab.

I know with Briefcase you can go in to each RSFiles Group and assign a Joomla Group or Joomla User to it, however once you apply a Group or User to a RSFiles Group, you can no longer apply that Group or User to any other folder.

I personally need to be able to have 3 different levels of access.
I need:
  1. A group that can see every folder (which I have in Briefcase)
  2. A group that can see multiple folders, but not all (which I can't work out in Briefcase)
  3. And individual groups that only see their own folders (which I have in Briefcase)

I'm thinking this might be similar to the issue Janis is having.

Frontend file permissions 10 years 3 months ago #26070

• jlg
  • Fresh Boarder
I am having the same problem Janis is:
Problem is that when I create a new folder, permission is not set at all, so it excludes everyone from uploading. I first have to manually change folder permissions via backend admin. Is there a way to either edit permissions via frontend admin OR to automatically set upload permissions for newly created 'files' (folder) to a specific group?

This is a blocker for me: I've paid for the extension, and my co-workers can't upload to the folders they've just created.

Is there a fix for this? I will also file a support ticket.

Toolie

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!