Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: Re-Crawling all the site webpages..a no-no?

Re-Crawling all the site webpages..a no-no? 11 years 6 days ago #22622

• FrischInBigD
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
So we crawl 5 levels of site pages...then proceed to make extensive changes each page via RSSeo to optimize Title Tags, Description Tags, etc.

When we re-crawl the pages again to update them, we lose all those changes we have made over the past months? The instructions provided tell HOW to do things, but also needed are the WHYs or WHY NOT as to best practices for using the component.

What is the difference between "refreshing" a page and having it refreshed by doing a total re-crawl? Also, when we add pages and also change menu names, those items are picked up by the auto-crawl...there are so many similar "pages" now in RSSeo that it is very difficult to figure out which ones are the ones we should be optimizing.

This issue is why we did a complete site re-crawl...to refresh the actual pages that are then displayed in RSSeo...but we are finding that the meta changes we made earlier are all lost...or at least some are, some aren't.

By far and away, we have spent MANY MANY hours on this component to understand how it works, more than any other Joomla component out there.

...need some best practice guidance for how to keep things "straight" several months after the initial install, and many pages have been added and deleted, and meta info changed!

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: m.keehnen9, info03230, aldodb

Re-Crawling all the site webpages..a no-no? 10 years 1 month ago #26830

• vojkanbg
  • Fresh Boarder
I have also spent many hous in RSSEO and I am still not confident when working with Pages tool.
Many examples with pictures included for working with Crawler and Pages tools particulary for working with duplicate content is much needed.

Joomla site with 22 articles when crawled on level 10 gets tens of thousends pages in Pages tab.

Defining what pages needs to be ignored in detailed manual (using a lot of images is neccessary) is something that needs to be done.

Please comment on this topic if you agree.

Re-Crawling all the site webpages..a no-no? 9 years 7 months ago #28550

Thanks for your remarks. I have the same problem. They should describe the functionality. and not just the buttons.
I do not re-crawl because it is not clear what will happen.

Kind regards,
Marcel

Re-Crawling all the site webpages..a no-no? 9 years 4 months ago #29744

I created a ticket for this issue. Below is response from Support.

Hello,

This is not an issue with the functionality of the component. When you first perform a Crawl of your site, the links from your page are indexed and you can set your desired metadata from the "pages" tab. This information is stored in the RSSeo! specific database table and is used to overwrite the default metadata set for your pages from the Global Configuration Settings and/or article/menu item configuration.

If you delete the pages from the "Pages" tab the information from the database is deleted, thus the component has no way of keeping the metadata when the new Crawl process is triggered. In order to keep your current metadata and also store your new pages you will need to trigger a full site crawl process without deleting your current pages.

Regards!

Re-Crawling all the site webpages..a no-no? 7 years 11 months ago #35043

• jeffhoneyager
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
The documentation needs to explain how RSSeo works. This could save many hours.

So far I am updating with the tool and have 10 hours in. I'm nervous about doing anything until I know what RSSeo does and how it handles the meta tags.

If RSSeo has its own database of meta tags, when do they get inserted in the html? Does the RSSeo plugin intercept the request for a URL then insert the tags?

I know programmers despise documentation, but it would help to spend one hour documenting than spend many tens of hours answering questions in support tickets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ianpics, Dontrememeber, aldodb

Re-Crawling all the site webpages..a no-no? 5 years 4 months ago #38704

• aldodb
  • Fresh Boarder
I totaly agree. It would save a lot of time if they can get their documentation in order!

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!