Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: CRON job on GoDaddy?? Anyone got it working

CRON job on GoDaddy?? Anyone got it working 12 years 5 months ago #15561

Dear Forum Reader:

I have spent 3 days with RSJoomla Support and Bogdan on this particular issue & not received anything but a link to the company page that they have to explain the basic CRON job setup. I called GoDaddy Support a number of timesin as many days as well and was shot down each time until I found someone that was willing to work with me regarding CRON jobs. After nearly 2 hours on the phone with this very helpful person (Ryan Shannon) we have yet to solve the issue.

The issue: Getting a CRON job for RSMail to run at all

Question #1; has anyone been able to get a CRON Job to run on GoDaddy?
Question #2; Does RSMail require SSH (Secure Socket Shell) hosting?

I have attempted the following command lines in an attempt to get a functioning response:

lynx "bradmurraygroup.com/index.php?option=com_rsmail&task=cron"
wget -O /dev/null bradmurraygroup.com/index.php?option=com_rsmail&task=cron
lynx -source "bradmurraygroup.com/index.php?option=com_rsmail&task=cron"
lynx -source "bradmurraygroup.com/index.php?option=com_rsmail&task=cron"
lynx -source "bradmurraygroup.com/index.php?option=com_rsmail&task=cron" > /dev/null 2>&1
lynx -source "bradmurraygroup.com/index.php?option=com_rsmail&task=cron" > /dev/null 2>&1

To no avail! All of which provided various responses from null to command not found to file not found.

The tech at GoDaddy suggested that I change my shared hosting server to a SSH server (their new 4GH server) as the script that is attempting to run may require SSH connectivity. This is my next step albeit a difficult one as it will require me to backup and re-install all of my 36 Joomla sites since the DNS host name will change for every one of them.

I have yet to find anyone that has been able to show that this functionality works. I invite anyone that has a functioning script call to comment with the working command line or constructive criticizum that may point me and other i have read about done the right road to making this very important part of my site work.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: CRON job on GoDaddy?? Anyone got it working 11 years 10 months ago #17729

For those who are having problems using wget to run cron jobs I found what solved it for me and it has to do with ampersands in the url. The key is using single quotes instead of double quotes around the url so bash doesn't interpret the ampersands as a control operator.

This is an old blog post I found about it -> www.planetmike.com/2005/04/12/wget-and-urls-with-ampersands/

Hope this helps someone.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!