Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: Server error on Google API with 2.11.1

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35779

• acoggins
  • Fresh Boarder
I just upgraded to 2.11.1, ran a system check and I now get a server error and the check process doesn't finish. It tells me the Google API has a problem, though this was working correctly before the upgrade.

The solution for me was to remove the Google API and it completes the check (with a score of 98%).

This seems to be an problem with RSFirewall and not a server issue... if I run the system check on 2.11.0 on another site it completes correctly and the Google API works fine.
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by acoggins.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35780

• acoggins
  • Fresh Boarder
OK - apparently this is happening because:

"The Google Safe Browsing API has changed to v4, you need to enable this API. The old API that was being used was Google Safe Browsing (Legacy), and most likely this is the one that's enabled on your account."

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35791

I am having the same problem wirh RS Firewall since the update and i am using Legacy V4, there seems to be a problem with RS Firewall, ALL of my sites are seeing the same issue!

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35792

• octavian
  • RSJoomla! Official Staff
  • Thank you received: 110
The problem is that you haven't enabled the correct API. There's no "Legacy V4", there's a "Legacy" and a "V4". In the new version you need to enable the V4 API (it's actually called "Safe Browsing APIs", because it's the current version). Currently you've enabled "Safe Browsing APIs (Legacy)", which is no longer used.
Please note: my help is not official customer support. To receive your support, submit a ticket by clicking here
Regards,
RSJoomla! Development Team

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35793

Sorry but you're wrong. I am not using Legacy, i am using as you put it V4.

I am using latest version but still have the same problem?
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by ImageVillage.

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35794

• acoggins
  • Fresh Boarder
I got this to work by going to the Google API console, selecting Credentials -> Create Credentials, then choosing API key.

This creates a new API key and then I went in and edited it to add the IP address of my web server. This new key worked with the latest version of RSFirewall.

I was a little surprised by the lack of information about this issue. Usually RSFirewall does a fantastic job of prompting you through anything that needs to be done.

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35795

• octavian
If you were indeed using the correct API, you wouldn't see this error message. Please check again and enable "Safe Browsing APIs" from your Google API Manager Console.

There's also some caching in place so make sure you clean your cache form the administrator side (System > Clear Cache > select "Administrator" form the dropdown > Delete All).

No new key is required, you need to enable the API for your current key.
Please note: my help is not official customer support. To receive your support, submit a ticket by clicking here
Regards,

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35796

Hi i have done the same and familiar with the Google console, i am still having the same issues. You only have the option of Legacy or the new V4 API creation and i am using V4, but having the same problems as when using Legacy, funny thing is it only happened when i updated to the latest RS Furewall version but clearly no-one wants to listen to me or understand that maybe there is a genuine problem and just keep telling me that i am wrong, when i am not. I am using V4.

Thanks for your help though, i appreciate the positive response rather than the repeated comment that i must be doing something wrong and assuming i clearly have no idea what i am doing or MUST be doing it wrong, i assure you....i am not.

I will update when i get to the bottom of it, which may take some time. I have error logging on for the API so i will look into the system log files and see what i can ascertain from there because as you rightly put, it seems the RS Joomla team has left the building!

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35797

• octavian
I'm sorry that you feel this way but in ALL tickets submitted, the issue was solved by enabling the new API. And I will prove it - please submit a support ticket here:
www.rsjoomla.com/support.html

Provide a Super User account so we can perform a System Check and add my email address - octavian [ at ] rsjoomla.com in the IAM section of your API Manager console (it's on the left side) - set "Role" to "Project > Owner". Make sure you select the correct project with the API key you're actually using in RSFirewall!.
Regards,

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35798

Your help is greatly apprecited

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35799

E-mail sent and IAM user access submitted ;)

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35800

• octavian
Well, you were using the correct API, but you've set a wrong restriction - "HTTP referer". This being a server key, there's no referer involved, so if you wanted to restrict your key you should have used "IP address" restriction.

And after removing the wrong restriction, everything works fine.
Regards,

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35801

Fantastic!

I wasn't aware the restriction would have prevented the API from correctly working, thank you for educating me on that point and i appreciate your work. The usual team response and active help i am used to, thank you kindly.

Greatly appreciate educating me on that one, i did not know this was the case, after reading documentation from the Google Developer programme i clearly misunderstood the setting of restriction on the API.

Thank you Octavian.

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35802

• octavian
No worries, we're here to help. I was wrong assuming you were using the incorrect API, but I've never encountered anyone setting up a restriction for the key :) Customers usually leave that blank because our instructions do not suggest restricting the key.
Regards,

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 7 months ago #35803

I have tried to impliment this due to some reports and experience where-upon attempts to exploit load on domains via malware scripts trying to use the API, thus my reasoning for restricting the permissions so as to attempt to stop this. Although Google notify you the excessive requests can obviously prevent the use as the API has a daily limit, sure you understand.

Thank you.
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by ImageVillage.

Server error on Google API with 2.11.1 7 years 6 months ago #35876

• info8954
  • Fresh Boarder
In my account Google writes:

"This API key is unrestricted. To prevent unauthorized use and quota theft, restrict your key to limit how it can be used."

And when I put an IP RS-Firewall isnt working anymore.

So, what to do?

- removing all restrictions: Google warns
- putting restrictions: RS-Firewall doesnt work

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!