Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: 500 Internal Server Error - site down

500 Internal Server Error - site down 13 years 6 months ago #11632

In RSFirewall! it reported "Your PHP configuration is not secure." So I clicked on "Click here to fix this problem." and now the site is down showing a 500 Internal Server Error.

I backed up the site (after it went down) and recreated it exactly as it is (except for modifications in configuration.php) on my localhost server and it works fine.

So it seems something has been changed on the live server but I don't know where to look?

Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:500 Internal Server Error - site down 13 years 6 months ago #11641

• octavian
  • NOW ONLINE
  • RSJoomla! Official Staff
  • Thank you received: 110
Hello Jennifer,

Please go to the root of your Joomla! installation and remove the "php.ini" file RSFirewall! created for you. You should contact your system administrator about reading local php.ini files in your hosting account.

The text just above the "Click here to fix" button states:
RSFirewall! will attempt to fix your PHP settings if the configuration is not secure by creating a local php.ini file in the root of your hosting account. If the hosting provider allows this, the php.ini file will be read and the new settings will take effect. If it does not work, then it means that the hosting provider does not allow the reading of local php.ini files. Please contact your hosting provider and/or system administrator in order to get this enabled.

Regards!
Please note: my help is not official customer support. To receive your support, submit a ticket by clicking here
Regards,
RSJoomla! Development Team

Re:500 Internal Server Error - site down 13 years 6 months ago #11647

Thanks but there is no php.ini file in there. I checked as soon as the issue happened. Is there anything else I can look for?

Re:500 Internal Server Error - site down 13 years 6 months ago #11648

I have had my webhost sort this out and here was the problem.

The error logs noted the problem (*I have removed the site name and replaced with 'site' for example purposes):

[Fri Oct 15 09:07:13 2010] [error] [client 119.31.228.10] SoftException in Application.cpp:601: Directory "/home/site*/public_html/stage" is writeable by group
[Fri Oct 15 09:07:13 2010] [error] [client 119.31.228.10] Premature end of script headers: index.php

The host resolved this by doing;

root@webhost05 [/home/site*/public_html]# chmod 755 stage

To remove the write by group permissions on the directory.

drwxrwxrwx 16 site* site* 4096 Oct 15 08:35 stage/

To:

drwxr-xr-x 16 site* site* 4096 Oct 15 08:35 stage/

I actually don't understand fully what has happened but it seems whilst trying to write a php.ini file maybe some permissions were changed?

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!