Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: how corecly write directory changes in defines.php

how corecly write directory changes in defines.php 14 years 1 month ago #10246

• migors
  • Fresh Boarder
I just canot understand how correctly write directory in defines.php

this shows how to change directory one level up,
( 'JPATH_CONFIGURATION', JPATH_ROOT.DS.'..'.DS.'test' );

but how it should be written if i need 2 or 3 directories up.

now i have configuration.php in main directory of site but site is in public_html directory where is 10 webistes, so to get out of public i need chane 2 levels up and to move defines.php from admin i need 3 levels up, canot understand how to write it correctly.

Plese help, and can i move configuration php for particule site out of public directori in some folder subfolder, then how sould it be writenn?

Plese help noob :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:how corecly write directory changes in defines.php 14 years 3 weeks ago #10286

• bogdanc
  • Thank you received: 11
Hello,

Basically you will need to add more '..' syntaxes. For example (two levels up):
( 'JPATH_CONFIGURATION', JPATH_ROOT.DS.'..'.DS.'..'.DS.'test' );

Re:how corecly write directory changes in defines.php 14 years 2 weeks ago #10332

• wirecreative
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
bogdanc wrote:
Hello,

Basically you will need to add more '..' syntaxes. For example (two levels up):
( 'JPATH_CONFIGURATION', JPATH_ROOT.DS.'..'.DS.'..'.DS.'test' );

Is this syntax correct? I moved the file according to the instructions in the help tip inside the app and it resulting in a flooding error (I also have sh404sef installed; it detects and prevents flooding. Do its security features need to be turned off if I'm using RSFirewall?).

When I changed the configuration file back its default location and restored the defines file, the error stopped. That was the only rollback I made, so I'm sure it was the problem.

UPDATE:

I just tried this again to see what would happen. I changed the defines file to point to the new config file location, and clicked around a bit on the site. Everything was fine. Then I re-ran the system check. It asked for approval of the defines edit, but still said my config file was accessible in public_html (I hadn't deleted the old file there yet). So I deleted that old file. Things seemed fine at first. But then I re-ran the system check, and just like the previous time, it got stuck on step 2. At the same time, clicking on anything on the site resulted in a flooding error.

I fixed this simply by reuploading the config file to the public_html folder even though the defines file still pointed to the new location outside the web root.

Does this help?

Thanks.
Last Edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by wirecreative.

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!