Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: Eliminate locations function

Eliminate locations function 14 years 6 months ago #8929

HI there

Am I the only one who thinks the location function is silly?

I have a community (jomsocial)where users can add events - let say
a cristmas event .

Problem:

1.After they have created an event the location has to be
published first in the backend.

2.Most of those events only takes place once, so why keep the location data
seperated from the event, if it only gonna be used once.

3.If 1000 events exist this will mean a 1000 locations - you cant espect people
to run through 1000 locations to see if it exists already...

4.Many of my users thinks it confusing with the location function - they
just wanna be able to create an event.

SOLUTION:

add the location fields to the event form - thats it

Or at least make a setting in the backend to have location info seperate
as it is now - or integrated on the event form.

OR make it possible to add custom fields to event form and to disable
the location function.

Any feedback on this !

regards Steen
The administrator has disabled public write access.

CHANGE locations function 14 years 6 months ago #8948

I think in an effort to normalize the database structure, they separated it out. This choice caused a couple problems.

1) It creates a database of locations that over time will be very large and unweildy.
2) The locations may be a similar building but a separate resource
3) you can't search for events based on location

Several of us have asked for the ability to search based on location. Since it is in a separate table, they have not created a search that links locations to events.

It would make sense to either:

1) include the location in the event table, as you mention
2) allow all "locations" to be referenced by the user that entered the data. That way, if you have many events at the same place, you don't have to type it in again and again. Also, if someone has an event at the same place but a different part of the facility (in a hotel: Blue Room vs Green Room, etc) then you are not stuck with a "location" that is not accurate for your event.

If these are done, it will likely break things for early adopters but I think it would be a better organizational structure. As is, I think they only anticipated a few people would add in locations and it would all be in the same city or locality. In reality, groups may have many members and could span a whole country.

David P
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!