Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: How to change posters name (real name wanted!)

How to change posters name (real name wanted!) 14 years 9 months ago #8166

• dmaddox
  • Fresh Boarder
We are a small town community site. Therefore we prefer our board to display real names on all areas and not user names.

On line 199 of rsevents.php, I found where it displays "EventOwner" on the Event display. Where is "EventOwner" declared, and what should I change the declaration to so it will display the users REAL joomla name, rather than joomlas USER name?

Line 199:
$replace =array($event->EventName , $event->EventSubtitle ,
 JText::_('RSE_HOSTED_BY').' '.$event->EventHost ,
 JText::_('RSE_START_EVENT').' '.$event->EventStartDate , 
JText::_('RSE_END_EVENT').' '.$event->EventEndDate , $eventLocationUrl , 
$event->LocationAddress , $event->LocationCity , $event->LocationState , 
$event->EventPhone , $event->EventEmail , $event->EventURL , 
JText::_('RSE_EVENT_POSTED').' '.$event->EventOwner , $event->EventDescription 
, $eventIcon );
Last Edit: 14 years 9 months ago by dmaddox.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How to change posters name (real name wanted!) 14 years 9 months ago #8193

• alexp
  • RSJoomla! Official Staff
  • Thank you received: 180
Hello,

This isn't such a good idea to modify the source code. I will give you a simply scenario that this wouldn't work... each user is unique... however the real fullname isn't, meaning that two people can have the same name.

A simple resolution to this would be to place a "Notice" message upon user registration to use a combination of their real names or something similar.
Please note: my help is not official customer support. To receive your support, submit a ticket by clicking here
Regards,
RSJoomla! Development Team

Re:How to change posters name (real name wanted!) 14 years 7 months ago #8528

dmaddox wrote:
We are a small town community site. Therefore we prefer our board to display real names on all areas and not user names.

On line 199 of rsevents.php, I found where it displays "EventOwner" on the Event display. Where is "EventOwner" declared, and what should I change the declaration to so it will display the users REAL joomla name, rather than joomlas USER name?

Line 199:
$replace =array($event->EventName , $event->EventSubtitle ,
 JText::_('RSE_HOSTED_BY').' '.$event->EventHost ,
 JText::_('RSE_START_EVENT').' '.$event->EventStartDate , 
JText::_('RSE_END_EVENT').' '.$event->EventEndDate , $eventLocationUrl , 
$event->LocationAddress , $event->LocationCity , $event->LocationState , 
$event->EventPhone , $event->EventEmail , $event->EventURL , 
JText::_('RSE_EVENT_POSTED').' '.$event->EventOwner , $event->EventDescription 
, $eventIcon );

Hey dmaddox- I've been trying to figure this out also.. I don't buy the 'same name' story. There are ways to work with real names: i.e., show real names alongside email addys or usernames, or simply require a unique real name on registration and there are other smarter ways also, I'm sure. Either way, when the instance is for a small community, the odds of same names would be very slight or unique name requirements would be quickly understood.

So, did you have any luck figuring out how to do it?

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!