Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: quotes get a \ added prior to them after submit

quotes get a \ added prior to them after submit 16 years 2 months ago #1887

I noticed all the quotes (\") that are submitted in my form text gets a \ character put in front of it.

Is this a bug or is it unique to me?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:quotes get a added prior to them after submit 16 years 2 months ago #2007

Alex,
Is this truly a bug. It appears that this happens in many areas even in the support area of the backend of the component. All the quotes there get a backslash added to them also.

Re:quotes get a added prior to them after submit 16 years 1 month ago #2084

• gwmbox
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Yes it is a bug - has been doing it for quite a while - hopefully it will be fixed asap
If you don't ask....

Re:quotes get a added prior to them after submit 16 years 3 weeks ago #2553

Alex,
Is there a plan to fix this any time soon?

Thanks

Re:quotes get a \ added prior to them after submit 16 years 2 weeks ago #2569

This is due to the single quotes and double quotes being escaped when writing to the database, but not unescaped when retrieving from the webpage.

SOLUTION: Until this is fixed, instead of using the single quote/apostrophe (') or double quote (\"), use the html entity:

for double quote use (without the spaces):
& q u o t ;
or
& # 3 4 ;

for single quote/apostrophe use (without the spaces):
& r s q u o ;
or
& # 8 2 1 7 ;

See this page for more info on html entities: msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537499(VS.85).aspx

Re:quotes get a \ added prior to them after submit 15 years 10 months ago #3286

• e2k
  • Fresh Boarder
Is there a chance to fix it somehow?

Re: quotes get a \ added prior to them after submit 12 years 1 week ago #17053

• mkeys
  • Fresh Boarder
I do not know why this hasn't been fixed yet. But here is how to fix it for those who are tired of this bug.

open RScomments.php located in: /components/com_rscomments/helpers/

Subject is on line #227, the Comments are on line #234 (although I wasn't having the problem with the comments, just the subject. You need to strip the slashes. Example for subject:
$subject = ($config->enable_title_field == 1) ? '<span id="rscsubject'.$comment->IdComment.'">'.$comment->subject.'</span>' : '';

Add a line after this to read like this:
$subject = ($config->enable_title_field == 1) ? '<span id="rscsubject'.$comment->IdComment.'">'.$comment->subject.'</span>' : '';
			$subject = stripslashes($subject);
Last Edit: 12 years 1 week ago by mkeys. Reason: Getting my facts straight

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!