Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: The Alex Thread

The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1103

Hey all, it seems as though 99% of us need support, so im starting this thread so that Alex can see the frustration that his PAID clients are having.

I for one have the following opinion: these components have all the potential in the world and are better than any other similar component offerings but without the support, I am inclined to find alternate solutions. *sigh*

With that being said, I did receive an email from Alex this past Tuesday at 3:51AM Pacific Time

\"Hello,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I am on vacation but i want to answer to your questions. I hope it's not too late.

thanks.\"

So i guess the good news is, he's alive but he is on vacation. I am having issues with PAID versions of RSForm & RSFiles.

-Frustrated Paid RSJoomla Client
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1104

• dino00
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi kollizion.

I'm not a \"normal\" customer (I got the license for writing a review and not for paying).
However I thought that replying to your thread and saying that you are right about the situation was the right thing to do.
Given the current situaion people should not be asked to pay for RSForm as it is clearly lacking where other free extensions are great at -- that is support.
Alex should find help (co-programmers, forum moderators e.t.c.) if he wants to have happy customers.
To my knowledge, this ugly situation is known to other forums as well and if things don't get any better fast I can bet that RSForm won't have a bright future.
To give an example, a friend of mind had a problem with Phil-A-Form and he was able to talk directly to Phil on the phone.
Now I'm certainly not asking for something as extraordinary as that. It would suffice having someone to talk to on the forum that can lend a helping hand. Clearly this is not the case and it's only a pitty that such good an extension suffers under the non-existent support.
In my line of work if I abbandoned my customers for 3 weeks without a single reply, I'd be looking for a new job!

Re:The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1106

• putts
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't mind no support if it states that. The fact that it says 24/7 support is misleading and on vacation or not unless your in the amazon how can you not access an internet and send a few emails.

I paid $10 for something I cannot use - I would happily pay $200 if I had support.

Re:The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1107

• de Rooy
  • Junior Boarder
guy's get in one thing in your mind we are all human not machines so once a year we need as human beings a little rest en peace.

Alex was a bit late with the respons that he was on vacantion but he explain it in the form.

A form means also that if the regular support isn't avaible you can ask you question on the form so maybe other people can answer your queston if possible.

Sorry to say but some people didn't ask a question in the form but complain about the support.

Understand that Alex has notifyed it earlyer but he didn't but can you give the guy a break and try to ask your question on the form and if then nobody can answer the question write a supportticket or send a email.

btw 24/7 support doesn't mean that you get the answer in the middle off the night for instance but means that there is email or the supportticket witch is 24/7 avaible to everyone. 24/7 is not the person himself because we all need our nighttime sleep :)

Re:The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1115

• iamalive
  • Fresh Boarder
Of course we all need a break now and then. But if you offer 24/7 support, then that is the expectation people have. If you can't offer that, say so.

I have now been trying to get this working for 3 weeks. I have launched 4 enquireies and have had no replies to any of them, except today from a fellow user (Thanks deRoy).

I am close to giving up on this component, even though I think its approach is the best I've come accross as a non-programmer. Why? Because I have customers who want need the functionality of a component like this, but are not prepared to wait for the support to finish his holidays.

If there is goint to be little or no s support, then perhaps Alex can write a decent Tutorial, which will probably reduce the number of questions substantiall. Maybe even add a few video tutorials on the how-to principle. I sure hope something gets better soon! My frustration level is coming to the point, where I'm going to write all this on the joomla extensions page for the component.<br><br>Post edited by: iamalive, at: 2007/07/29 11:13

Re:The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1117

• plbcjn
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi de Rooy

I am afraid that your idea of 24/7 support and mine are very different ! 24/7 support menans that there will be someone available to deal with support queries all the time - its usually available only on \"mission-critical\" systems and its very, very expensive.

Where I do agree with you is that none of us can really expect 24/7 support on a $10 component - but by actually stating it in the features list I think Alex is making a bit of a rod for his own back.

I know from older entries on this forum that Alex is perfectly capable of offering good support - so why not just say \"support direct from the developer\" instead

I have looked at Alex's work and I like what I see. His presentation is professional, anad the integrated ticket and update system show he he is trying to design components whith a long term value. Just the sort of chap I am more han happy to encorage with a few $10 contributions for his efforts.

But in the case of RS file, I now have little doubt that the free component works and the paid for version does not. Which is not the best way to keep your customers happy - its just a shame this problem has co-incided with his vacation otherwise it would probably be fixed by now.

BTW Alex - just how long is this vacation !!<br><br>Post edited by: plbcjn, at: 2007/07/29 16:12

Re:The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1118

• de Rooy
  • Junior Boarder
Lets say we are all right on the different way off our apinion but please reminder he's on is own creating a good program.

About the manual you are right i had in my mind to help him out a little bit to create together the manual depending on our own expirience and from gathering the solutions on this form.

I'm not that good to make a manual especialy in english because my english isn't good enough I can wright the manual in dutch.

@iamalive

Don't give up and ask the questions in the forum so maybe someone else can give you the answer you need.

Re:The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1119

• teddyboy
  • Fresh Boarder
I think that the issue is not that Alex is on vacation but that the component is not \"market ready\". That is why there are so many queries.

If the component is stable then the forum is a good place to ask \"how to\" questions. You should not have to ask questions like \"where is the mambot?\".

Ted

Re:The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1124

Hallelujah!!

Hey guys, just so everyone knows, i was also having a problem with RSFiles in that it would corrupt files that were downloaded (after updating the paid version).

I was told by another user that he was consistently \"checking for updates\" within the component and it looks like a recent update was applied and now that corruption is no longer happening.

It looks like Alex is on the case now! I would suggest to people to constantly update your components and we may see some fixes come through the pipe.

It may be possible that Alex is fixing stuff but not talking to anyone, haha. At least I know that 1 of my paid components is working flawlessly now (RSFiles).

GO ALEX! Lets get RSForm working primo now and everyone can pay for another one of your vacations!! haha jk

- 50% happier and proud RSFiles and RSForm user

Re:The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1135

• alex
  • RSJoomla! Official Staff
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello everyone,

i just got back from my \"vacation\", and i began working today. From what i see, my vacation created much discomfort for lots of people. Unfortunately where i was i had a 8kb/s connection(not permanent), so i was not able to work properly. And another thing is that i was on vacation, so i wanted to take some time and stay with my family, and friends, things that i didn't to too well in these 3 months since i started creating components.

I hope you all have a \"human\" part of you, and understand few aspects that make my products so \"fragile\" in this period:

1. The fact that for the moment i am alone. Developing and support are handled by me. I am struggling to find competent people that can help me, but that will take some time.

2. The fact that i am at the beginning in being a business(not an employee). Just 3 months since i started working on my own. Before i was working for others, and it's not easy to handle everything at perfection from the start.

My mistakes were multiple... starting from not announcing that i will not be available and everything.

I will start answering the support issues, and hopefully this week be able to return at the 24/7 support that i gave before i left.

That being said, i hope you will all understand. Thank you all.

Re:The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1136

Human here,

Where did you go? Just curious.

Glad you're back

-kollizion

Re:The Alex Thread 16 years 9 months ago #1137

• alex
  • RSJoomla! Official Staff
  • Thank you received: 3
I've been to Italy, and stayed with my parents that live there.

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!