Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: CSV Export Error

CSV Export Error 15 years 5 months ago #5854

Hi, whenever I export my data, I keep getting \" \" around my data and I'll get what should be 20 rows of data in 2 long horizontal columns with all of the text smushed. My delimeter is , and my punctuation after each field is \"

Sometimes it will work perfectly though and others it won't... am I missing something? Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:CSV Export Error 15 years 5 months ago #5856

Same problem here...almost as though if I export some of my larger fields that have long text strings the Excel parsing doesn't happen correctly. However, if I limit it to a few short fields it seems to work fine.

Help please.<br><br>Post edited by: kedmiston, at: 2008/12/04 23:56

Re:CSV Export Error 15 years 4 months ago #6085

It is a known issue that Excel truncates cells to 256 characters during import of a CSV file. Could it be Excel itself that is causing your long entries to be truncated? Workaround would be to import a CSV file into Word, which does not truncate cells.

Re:CSV Export Error 15 years 3 months ago #6257

Hey, thanks for the suggestion, but it looks like Word didn't do the trick. Do you think if I have an 'Additional Descriptions' area and the description is more than 256 characters, that is what is causing the issue? Thanks!

Re:CSV Export Error 15 years 3 months ago #6439

• xalt.it
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,
With excel the data needs to be imported into excel, not simply exported and opened in excel. Once exported, go to Menu > Data > Import External Data > Import Data, browse the CSV file and set up the delimiter from the wizard that appears.

Note that although the export options allow you to choose the field enclosure for the fields, excel will only use either an apostrophe ' or quotation mark " as a field enclosure. This can be a problem if your text field responses have these characters in them (eg don't, can't, won't). Every time excel comes to a don't it will read the don and t as separate fields. To remove the apostrophe from responses when the form is submitted, (so that you can use that character as a field delimiter for excel), insert this code in the Script called on form process section of the form (in the Scripts tab)
if(isset($_POST['form']['formId'])){
foreach($_POST['form'] as $key=>$value){
if(is_array($value)){
foreach($value as $k_v=>$v_v){
$_POST['form'][$key][$k_v] = str_replace("'","",$v_v);
}
}else{
$_POST['form'][$key] = str_replace("'","",$value);
}
}
}

You will need to then choose the character ' as the field enclosure character in your export options. Also choose a character that will not be uses in responses (eg ~ or ^) as the delimiter (when importing to excel, you can choose any character as the delimiter)

To work around the issue of limiting the number of characters in text field responses, use this code in the Additional Attributes section of your text field:
maxlength=&quot;255&quot;

I hope that has been helpful.
Last Edit: 15 years 3 months ago by xalt.it.

Re:CSV Export Error 15 years 2 months ago #6645

• xalt.it
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry for the double post.

I would like to recommend Open Office, as an alternative to excel, for exporting the database. Open Office is free and is very similar to excel without all the nasty glitches (line break issues, quotation marks as delimiters in the middle of text fields etc etc). Once imported to Open Office you can 'save as' an excel spreadsheet.

I just wanted to share for the next person searching for answers on these issues.

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!