Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: Spammer is pwning my Captcha

Spammer is pwning my Captcha 12 years 8 months ago #14683

Hi folks, I am wondering if anything can be done to secure my RSForm. A spammer is pwning the captcha. He is changing his IP like a madman so it is difficult to blacklist him. I wonder if there is a way to use ReCaptcha? or make RSForms captcha more effective.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Spammer is pwning my Captcha 12 years 8 months ago #14730

• c22sail
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have the same problem. First he attacked through RSFiles and the report emails. Got that stopped and he immediately went to my contact us form which uses the basic captacha.

I installed the recaptcha plug-in for RSForms and so far that has stopped it.

Re: Spammer is pwning my Captcha 12 years 8 months ago #14737

• Normski
  • Fresh Boarder
I have 20 plus sites using re-captcha instead of the inbuilt one and I can hand on heart say we have not had one spam email yet, apart from the ones where someone physically inputs the details etc. like the "SEO experts" from the far east etc.

But no bots...

And it's so easy to implement as well...plus you can use Akismet for the belt and braces approach.

Re: Spammer is pwning my Captcha 12 years 8 months ago #14754

• c22sail
  • Fresh Boarder
The reCAPTCHA does work very well. Another tip I got from the support staff was to set the RSJoomla Captcha to invisible. If you consider that it is not a person that is going to spam you but a machine this does make some sense. If a person wanted to spam you he could simply enter the code and submit, so the code isn't intended to stop a person. By making the Captcha invisible the person does not need to enter anything or try to figure out what reCaptcha says and a machine can't see the code. I set mine to invisible and spam stopped immediately.

Re: Spammer is pwning my Captcha 12 years 8 months ago #14755

• c22sail
  • Fresh Boarder
Forgot to mention that even invisible captcha has to be before the submit button. Also, it doesn't work if you have two captacha fields, one visible and one invisible.

Re: Spammer is pwning my Captcha 12 years 6 months ago #15207

• damian1
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,
I like to know what you mean by setting the captcha to invisible. My form is getting heaps of spam straight through the built in captcha. I can't use recaptcha in this particular form because the layout doesn't allow it (it's too narrow).

I've seen the 'invisible' setting in the attributes, and it does make it invisible, but the form says "Please complete all required fields! Marked with *" after submitting.

-Damian

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!