Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0

Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 9 months ago #11147

Can you please provide some clarification of the following statement in the "Updating to a Newer Version" page in the documentation? I do use core functions, and an upgrade does break the forms.
If you have custom scripts that are using the RSform!Pro core functions, these will no longer work in revision 30 or above.

All I have to go on is the following error message:
Fatal error: Cannot use object of type JUser as array in /var/www/joomla/administrator/components/com_rsform/helpers/rsform.php(305) : eval()'d code on line 3

Fortunately it is on a test server.

I am a little surprised I need to ask this question. Am I missing some obvious release notes or changes to the documentation?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 9 months ago #11153

• alexp
  • RSJoomla! Official Staff
  • Thank you received: 180
Hello,

If you take a look at the changelog you will notice the the first item on revision 30 is "Rewrote using Joomla! MVC architecture". This implies some heavy source code modifications.

In the latest version (revision 31) a some legacy functions were maintained so that custom scripts that were using RSform!Pro core functions will still work.

If you can post the script here, i have a look at it and provide some indications on how this can be adjusted for the new version.
Please note: my help is not official customer support. To receive your support, submit a ticket by clicking here
Regards,
RSJoomla! Development Team

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 9 months ago #11157

I have the same problem. I also tried out the update on my local site and have now lost access to all my forms there.

I am receiving the same error message as above.
I cannot restore the old forms either. The error message is:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\wamp\www\libraries\joomla\database\database\mysql.php on line 223
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\wamp\www\libraries\joomla\session\storage\database.php on line 82
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\wamp\www\libraries\joomla\session\storage\database.php on line 51

I cannot construct any new forms either. The error message is:
Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in C:\wamp\www\administrator\components\com_rsform\helpers\rsform.php(305) : eval()'d code on line 3

It's all very well to say "send us your script" but I have no idea what scripts I might be using and where. I wouldn't even know where to look. I know I am using no scripts in my forms themselves. I don't really know what a script is. I am not an HTML tech person.

I only know that I dare not use the upgrade on my live site. I will submit a ticket now.

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 9 months ago #11162

I'm on 1.30 rev 31. Is there anything I need to do to enable legacy mode? Here's an example of a function that will immediately break a form. Just put this code, taken from this FAQ: http://www.rsjoomla.com/customer-support/forum/post-reply/37-rsform-pro.html?replyto=11147, into the default value of a textbox or hidden field and the form is broken to the point that it can't even be edited in the back end**.
//<code>
$user = $RSadapter->user();
return $user['id'];
//</code>

Do you have any more specific release notes that spell out which functions are no longer supported and how to compensate?

(**BTW, this has always been a really bad issue. Make a mistake in some code in the form and it seems there is no choice to but to delete the form and start over.)
Last Edit: 13 years 9 months ago by mike.ware.

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 9 months ago #11164

• komita
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
yes, we would definitely need more specifics on what codes won't work. i have them all over my forms and went back to rev29 until the issues can be worked out.

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 8 months ago #11192

anne-marie.anderson wrote:
I have the same problem. I also tried out the update on my local site and have now lost access to all my forms there.

I am receiving the same error message as above.
I cannot restore the old forms either.............

...........It's all very well to say "send us your script" but I have no idea what scripts I might be using and where. I wouldn't even know where to look. I know I am using no scripts in my forms themselves. I don't really know what a script is. I am not an HTML tech person.

I only know that I dare not use the upgrade on my live site. I will submit a ticket now.

I submitted a ticket and received a very prompt response. I was advised to download the component again and install over the top of the existing installation. This time everything worked as it was meant to.
Maybe my first download had been corrupted or incomplete.

I have always been impressed by the customer service received from these guys.

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 8 months ago #11200

Hi Everyone:

I'm need to copy data in three form fields, first name, last name and email address from an RS form to a specific JNews autoresponder list. I was told that this is possible via a custom script but I have no idea how to write it and cannot hire a programmer right now to do it for me.

I'm hoping that perhaps someone here has the expertise to write this script or at least help me with it and I'd be happy to reciprocate with something of equal value.

This is likely a pretty simple script and if you feel you can help, please send me an email to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and we can arrange a time to discuss it. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Howard

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 8 months ago #11203

• matt
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I'm not an expert at this and have not tested it. But can't you use the RSForm mappings plugin to save data in JNews tables. Their site was down so I haven’t had chance to look at the tables to see if it's possible.

Matt

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 8 months ago #11206

Matt, I had exactly the same idea of using mappings. I'm just not sure how to carry it out and would need to know the exact list to map to and how to do it.

I'd love to be able to accomplish this with a script but if a script is needed, so be it. Do you have any scripting skill or knowledge?

Sincerely,
Howard

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 8 months ago #11211

• matt
  • Expert Boarder
Hi!

I spent a few minutes to test the mappings plugin with JNews tables and almost made it work to register newsletter subscribers. So I'm sure you can it do without any script knowledge (I don't have it).

Just back up your Joomla files and data base before you start.

Matt

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 8 months ago #11214

...I submitted a ticket and received a very prompt response. I was advised to download the component again and install over the top of the existing installation. This time everything worked as it was meant to.
Maybe my first download had been corrupted or incomplete.

I have always been impressed by the customer service received from these guys.

I re-downloaded and re-installed the component and it indeed fixes the problem. They must have slipped a correction into the download. Bad revision control, but good that the problem is fixed. ;)

I agree the direct customer service is outstanding but I elected to post in the forum on the assumption that others might be seeing the same thing and could benefit from the resolution if it came.

As for the other the "off topic" posts in this thread ... you'll probably get a better response if you make your own topic rather than hijacking someone else's thread.

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 8 months ago #11247

Hi Matt:

Glad to hear that this might be possible. However, I'm unclear how to specify the particular JNews autoresponder list in the mapping comfiguration. Any ideas? Is there some way to get the specific list to come up in the mapping drop down menu?

Sincerely,
Howard

Re:Custom scripts with upgrade to 1.3.0 13 years 8 months ago #11257

• matt
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Howard!

Sorry I don't know. I suggest you start a new thread here so you easier find anyone who have that knowledge.

Matt

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!