Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: Group permission hierarchy

Group permission hierarchy 5 years 2 days ago #38995

I've been trying to wrap my head around the group permission system of RSEvents!Pro. We are using an older version (1.10.23) which suits us well, except for the permissions.

What I'm trying to achieve is that only members of our club will be able to register for events we post. We run a forum (Kunena) in Joomla for which people can register free of charge. Joomla will put these newly registered people in group Registered. People who later decide to join our club, will be put in the Members group. The group hierarchy is as follows:

- Public
-- Registered
--- Members

I defined a group in RSEvents!Pro which denies almost everything to mebers of group Registered. The group Members has options enabled allowing them to register for events. However, it appears the deny rules take precedence over the allow rules for accounts that are both in Registered and Members. That's counter intuitive to how the general ACL system works in Joomla. It effectively makes it a nightmare separating members from non-members.

I tried to work around it by putting newly registered users in group Guest instead of Registered. However, that effectively denies any log in to non-members. Since I can only assign newly registered users to one group, I'm out of options. I tried working around it with database triggers, but that's a no go, too. I cannot insert into the same table on which the trigger fires (deadlocks, possible infinite loops).

So, how does one go about denying the general public registration, but allowing it for members in hierarchical group structure as provided by Joomla?

Not having any rules for the group Registered allows them to register. In my opinion, that's wrong. The default, if nothing is defined, should be to deny. Alternatively, rules should be inheritable from superseding groups. In our case having denied the group Public registration for events, should then also apply to Registered, unless this group has its own rules defined.

By the way, the same Catch 22 applies to using Joomla default groups Editor and Publisher trying to allow editors to create and modify events, and allowing publishers to approve changes, respectively, if these users are also member of Registered.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Group permission hierarchy 4 years 1 month ago #39837

• aphid
  • Fresh Boarder
Grrr! Yes, I've been pulling out my hair with the same problem. You are right, the hierachy works opposite to Joomla's access levels.
Did you get a reply or open a support ticket?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!