Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: Setting up menus/access structures for RSBlog

Setting up menus/access structures for RSBlog 11 years 3 months ago #20556

• david757
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a question regarding setting up menus with RSBlog.

In the past, when I have set up a “blog like” site using Joomla articles, I would use a number of categories. I would then use a number of “blog category” menu items.

The first menu item would be the “default” menu item and include all of the categories. Someone visiting the site's home page would see all all posts. The other “blog category” menu items would then include only a single category; so the visitor could refine the articles being viewed.

This is much like many newspaper sites. You visit the URL, and you see all the latest news, but there is a menu that allows you to view articles from only specific sections.

I tried to do something similar using RSBlog.

I created a module (position-6, right sidebar) using the “categories module” to display a list of the categories. As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to include an all categories within the “category module”, so I created a a single menu item for RSBlog with all of the categories (that I wanted displayed). I then put it in position-6 above the categories module. With my current template, this looks okay.

This works, but seems a bit kludgy. I suspect that there is a better way that I'm missing.

In addition, RSSEO component does not like this strategy. It keeps complaining about articles with duplicate titles. In fact, they are the same article, simple reached through different menu items.

I thought about not using the “category module” and simply creating individual menu items for each category, but thought it might be good to ask others what they do first?

I can't find much in the way of documentation about this.

So... after a long winded introduction, do you have any suggestions about how you set up your blogs menus/access points?

Thanks,

David.

The site I have started with is www.TodaysNote.Com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!