Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: Enable Viewing Submissions - Alphabetically

Enable Viewing Submissions - Alphabetically 7 years 11 months ago #34799

• jemmyn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I am using RS Forms Pro in order to collect some information about performers on a clients website.

After that I am using a Submissions view in order to display certain fields of all the submissions I enable to show up on the front end. "Enable Viewing Submissions ?" Yes

I am wondering if there is a way I could sort the list alphabetically by one of my columns instead of just descending or ascending. "Sort submissions"

I also purchased RS Directory and originally set that up to accomplish what I am trying to do but it was much more complex than I needed it to be and when it came to users updating their profile it was also more complicated that I needed it to be so I came back to just using submissions view of RS Forms and its perfect except for this one factor.

Take a look here please: heartsoul.org/performers - I want to make it listed by performer name alphabetically.

Thanks as always guys for the great products. :(
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: webmasterdemaas

Enable Viewing Submissions - Alphabetically 7 years 2 months ago #36323

How did you accomplish the sorting of the tables? I am at the same point using RSForms Pro.

Enable Viewing Submissions - Alphabetically 7 years 2 months ago #36324

• jemmyn
  • Fresh Boarder
Good question. It took some time to figure this one out but in the end I just uploaded this .js and then referenced it under javascript section in directory.

1. Go to this site and download github.hubspot.com/sortable/docs/welcome/

2. Using an FTP program upload the file sortable.js to a space on your site which will not get deleted when you upgrade (in my case I uploaded sortable.js into public_html/js/

3. While editing your form click on the Directory button at the top

4. Click on the CSS and Javascript tab on the left side

5. In the Javascript field enter:
<script src="/js/sorttable.js"></script>

6. Then create a module which is "RSForm! Pro Module Frontend List"

7. Then in the module layout box I put the following code:
<table class="sortable" width="100%"><tr><td><strong><u>Performer Name</u></strong></td><td><strong><u>Style</u></strong></td></tr>{formdata}</table>

The only thing I have not figured out about this solution is a way to make it so a certain column starts out sorted. Basically the user has to click on the column to sort it alphabetically.

I really feel like this should be built into RS Forms Pro but I don't think it is at this point.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by jemmyn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: webmasterdemaas, trevdewitt

Enable Viewing Submissions - Alphabetically 7 years 2 months ago #36326

Thank you for the detailed reply. I cannot get it to work following your instructions. I am using a different theme than you. Also my content is a bit different.

I am also trying to use the submissions view and not the directory module. Is that what you were using?

www.cloggingcuesheets.com/index.php/submissions-view

Enable Viewing Submissions - Alphabetically 7 years 2 months ago #36327

• jemmyn
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes I am using the Directory module. I tried to use the submission view to start with and did not have enough versatility so I switched to the Directory module. Is there are reason you want to use the submission view instead of the module?

Of course this means you have to create a menu item that points to a blank article or something in order to have a menu to assign the module to but it should essentially accomplish the same thing.

Can you try it with the module and see if it works?

You could probably do it with the submission view but you would have to do things a different way. (that again I was unable to figure out)
The following user(s) said Thank You: trevdewitt

Enable Viewing Submissions - Alphabetically 7 years 2 months ago #36328

The submissions view has a search feature by default that the directory module does not. I will try the directory module tomorrow with a clear head to see if I can follow your directions to get it to work.

It does not appear that the javascript in RSForms is saving and populating the page. I can't find the reference to the sortable.js file in the code. I wonder if it has something to do with my template.

Enable Viewing Submissions - Alphabetically 7 years 2 months ago #36329

• jemmyn
  • Fresh Boarder
I am not sure why your template would prevent the js from loading but on that note you should be able to customize your template to load the js, this would be an alternative approach. Most templates have the ability to have a style which you can change the main template files but not get overwritten when you upgrade the template. I am using yootheme and their approach is here: yootheme.com/themes/documentation/developers/customization

Most modern templates should have a similar function I would think.

I remember the limitation to using the Menu>Submission View

The problem is that there is no way to adjust how many show on one page and the sortable.js only affects the entries on that page. So it does not load them in the right order. I have enabled a version of this on my website so you can see what I mean... heartsoul.org/performersss?limitstart=0

When I brought this up with RSjoomla support they said use RSdirectory but I found it much more cumbersome and harder to format the submission views without doing some serious template modifications. Also I didn't need all the features that came with RSdirectory. I just needed a simple way for people to enter some details and have it show up on a list after it was approved by an admin.

Perhaps there is a way to use the regular joomla search to display these entries?

I wish RSjoomla would just add the ability to sort alphabetically to RSformsPro...

You could look into flexicontent which may be a little harder to setup but is very versatile: extensions.joomla.org/extension/flexicontent

Enable Viewing Submissions - Alphabetically 5 years 4 months ago #38629

Agree it should be a standard feature of RSForms!
Kind regards, René Kolpa

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!