Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: Pulling from other website Database.

Pulling from other website Database. 9 years 5 months ago #29264

• brett22
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello, Basically what I am wanting to do is...

I currently have 2 websites using rsdirectory and I am wanting to have 1 website listing entries from rsdirectory and then have my other websites rsdirectory pull a category from the 1st website which is listing the entries.

I've looked into this
docs.joomla.org/Connecting_to_an_external_database

and it seems to help but I am not sure which files I would need to change in order to make it pull from the 1st websites database.

Would help alot if anyone has done this before or can help me out with this problem.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pulling from other website Database. 9 years 5 months ago #29356

I have not started using RSdirectory yet, so I would not know which files you'd need to change to accomplish what you described, but I know from experience in other scripts that even with the sites residing in the same account (localhost) is not that easy to move data from one DB to the other.

My suggestion for you would be to look into having a chron job export and import the data from one DB to the other. You'd have to either write or hire a programmer to write a script (or plugin) if rSdirectory is not already equipped with a way to export/import with a CROn job, but I think it would be a cleaner solution than hacking the core files.

Of course, take my suggestion with a grain of salt considering my inexperience with RSdirectory and that I might have misunderstood the question.

Pulling from other website Database. 9 years 3 months ago #29944

• jeffhoneyager
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
My client has (in ASPX) one database on one site and 10 other sites that select from it. I would like to convert them to Joomla and rsDirectory.

Each site selects a specific category from the one database and displays the results on the specific site.

Can this be done?
Do we have to have 10 rsDirectory sites and periodically update them?
- cron job?
- github?
- both?

Pulling from other website Database. 9 years 1 month ago #30563

• brett22
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I actually found a solution for this. I ended up only using 1 rs directory and using custom modules to just pull the fields from there that i needed. after that just styled it the same. worked well
The following user(s) said Thank You: didie

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!