Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!

TOPIC: First drop-down option blank to force a selection

First drop-down option blank to force a selection 15 years 3 weeks ago #6952

• Barboo
  • Fresh Boarder
In an effort to reduce spam, I've tried adding a drop-down area to one of my forms, making it a mandatory field, but spam still gets through because the first value automatically populates the field. Is there a way to make the drop-down empty to begin with, forcing a user to click on the down arrow and make a choice?
The topic has been locked.

Re:First drop-down option blank to force a selection 15 years 3 weeks ago #7003

Hi,

Can you use a radio button or check boxes? They can be displayed with not selection and required.

Mike
JIKOmetrix.net - web hosting and development
http://www.jikometrix.net

Re:First drop-down option blank to force a selection 15 years 2 weeks ago #7017

• Barboo
  • Fresh Boarder
I tried using both radio buttons and checkboxes instead of the drop-down, but somehow the spammers are making a selection and the e-mails are getting through. I guess this isn't the miracle solution I thought it might be!

Re:First drop-down option blank to force a selection 15 years 2 weeks ago #7018

• bradymc
  • Fresh Boarder
I use this:
|Select,Option1|Option1,Option2|Option2
Notice that there is no value for the first item. If you make the field mandatory, then it forces the user to select an item that has a value... such as Option1 or Option2.

Re:First drop-down option blank to force a selection 15 years 2 weeks ago #7037

• Barboo
  • Fresh Boarder
That seems to have solved the problem. Thanks so much!

Re:First drop-down option blank to force a selection 15 years 2 weeks ago #7056

• s31523
  • Junior Boarder
How much? :woohoo:

Re:First drop-down option blank to force a selection 15 years 2 weeks ago #7058

• Barboo
  • Fresh Boarder
Well, not as much as yesterday... Overnight stats show tons of spam got through even using that |Select,... code. Back to the drawing board!

Re:First drop-down option blank to force a selection 15 years 2 weeks ago #7059

• octavian
  • RSJoomla! Official Staff
  • Thank you received: 110
Hello,

If you are using RSForm! it is best to backup your forms, uninstall RSForm!, download the latest version from our website, reinstall it and restore the forms.
There were some issues with spam getting through CAPTCHA, but these issues have been solved a long time ago.
Please note: my help is not official customer support. To receive your support, submit a ticket by clicking here
Regards,
RSJoomla! Development Team

Re:First drop-down option blank to force a selection 9 years 6 months ago #29104

• Roberts
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
To disable selecting the first item in your list try ...

0|Please Select
item1|Item 1
item2|Item 2

...and so on

Make sure you use 0(zero) and not the letter ‘O’ before the pipe "|Please Select"

Here's the difference

0|Please Select (Good)
O|Please Select (Not Good)

Re:First drop-down option blank to force a selection 9 years 6 months ago #29105

• octavian
  • RSJoomla! Official Staff
  • Thank you received: 110
Please don't resurrect a 5 year old thread for a product we no longer support :)
Please note: my help is not official customer support. To receive your support, submit a ticket by clicking here
Regards,
RSJoomla! Development Team

Read this first!

We do not monitor these forums. The forum is provided to exchange information and experience with other users ONLY. Forum responses are not guaranteed.

However, please submit a ticket if you have an active subscription and wish to receive support. Our ticketing system is the only way of getting in touch with RSJoomla! and receiving the official RSJoomla! Customer Support.

For more information, the Support Policy is located here.

Thank you!